Here are a few things that I love to have in my closet!
- A fitted Jacket. Fit is important because a fitted or even a belted jacket vs. a wide/straight fitting jacket gives shape and definition to your waste but can also help to hide problem areas like tummies and hips. Wear a fitted jacket with jeans, over a dress or as a light jacket. Pair it with a pair of hot jeans, heels and sparkly top for a sophisticated look out on the town. Choose a neutral color for great versatility. Then consider a a bright color as a second choice such as: red, orange or green for a fresh, fun pop of color. Think light weight 3/4 sleeve jackets/blazers for spring & summer, heavier weights and textures for fall and winter. Don't neglect belted trenches and jackets because they are SO versatile. For spring my go-to fitted jackets are a neutral khaki jacket and a red belted trench.
- A Wide Belt. A wide belt, as in 2-3 inches wide has so many uses! I recommend a neutral: Black, brown, Cognac or tan to start with. Belts provide such great versatility because you can change the look of any outfit or dress by adding a belt. Always position your belt at the smallest part of your waste or torso to emphasize your hour glass shape and bring attention to your waste. Try adding your wide belt to your summer sundresses, jackets, or tops. My favorite type of wide belt to buy has leather or fake leather and buckle in the front with elastic around the back, they are comfortable and stay in place well. I have added mine a little over time..I now have them in Black, Brown & Dark Tan. $15 each on sale from New York & Company.
- A Skinny Belt. I love my skinny belt! I have found so many uses for this type of belt! They are great for belting tops when you don't want to make as bold of a statement as with a wide belt. Skinny belts are an easy way to add definition to your waste with nearly any top. You can also belt your cardigans and jackets! Mine is a dark tan skinny belt from H & M, $6. Target has some great skinny belts right now in fun colors for $12. Add a skinny belt in a fun spring color to a dress, or top or to add a pop of color to an outfit.
- A Cardigan or two, or three... in a neutral color, and then maybe one one or two more....:) Cardigans are a great choice when you need a light layer over tank tops, dresses and shirts. Next time you are in a hurry grab the cardigan and leave the hoodie at home, you will instantly up your style!
- Dark wash Jean. Dark denim jeans provide the most versatility and are easy to dress up or down!
- A Cocktail Ring. Every girl should have a fun cocktail ring to add a little bling and sparkle to their ensemble! And they are not just for special occasions, your can wear them with anything! Find fun inexpensive cocktail rings at Kohls, Steinmart, Macy's, Jcpenney....you get the idea.
- A Neutral Flat or Wedge. When looking for a neutral shoe for spring and summer consider a metallic shoe. Golds, bronzes, gunmetal and silver provide a little something "extra" and add interest to any outfit. Metallic work great in a shoe because they are still neutrals but add a little shine while working with allot of different outfit. I love a shoe with a little embellishment as well. I found a great pair of soft gold peep toe flats with flower accents/details on them at DSW, on sale-$20. I love them so much and they work with so many different outfits, I have to hold back a little so I don't wear them out before summer!
What are some of your favorite items that bring you versatility in your everyday style? Is it a belt a scarf or a jacket? What is the one thing you would like to add to your wardrobe to change up your look? Leave your comments below!